TOEFL Preparation Course
- 2019 New TOEFL Test Info
- 7 Hand-pick Online TOEFL Preparation courses
- Preparation Tips
- Free Study Resources
What is the TOEFL test?
TOEFL test is a English language test provides by ETS (Educational Testing Service), the world largest non-profit organization dedicating in educational test and evaluation. For non-native English speaker who want to study abroad in or move to English-speaking country, TOEFL test is a tool to prove their English language ability.
2 Types of TOEFL test
- TOEFL iBT: It is widely accepted by Universities in North American as an English language exam required for permission. This is a computer base exam covering 4 sections including listening, speaking,reading, and writing. In August, 2019, the exam will be shorten by 30 minutes, to 3 hours in total. No changes in the exam format or questions.
- TOEFL PBT: It is a paper-base exam. It differs from iBT test in the test format and time.
Sections in TOEFL test
How to register for the test?
- Registration is opened to the applicant 5-6 months prior to the test date.
- Fee of the exam is $160-240 depending on the location where you take the exam.
- You can check with the test center in your city to see where to take the exam
- 3 ways to register: online, phone and mail registration
What to bring on the test day?
- Valid, acceptable ID document (at least 2 forms suggested)
- Personal belongings are not allowed to bring in the testing room.
How is the Exam Scored?
- a score of 0-30 for each section (120 in total)
- scores are valid for 2 years
- scores will be ready in 10 days online, or longer via mail if you select this option
Have more question?
see frequently asked questions on the official website
7 Best TOEFL Preparation Courses
ETS, the official institution of TOEFL exam provides a plenty of preparation resources of TOEFL exam, some of which are for free. The Insider’s Guide course is one of the free ETS’s courses. It takes 6 weeks to complete, 2-4 hours each week. The course is designed by exports from the TOEFL exam team. You will learn about the process of the exam since the instructor will walk you through the four sections (reading, listening, speaking and writing) of the exam. Tips for time management of the test will be included to help you score high in the test.
price: FREE ($49 for graded exams, assignments and a certificate)
- developed by the exports who design the exam
- examples used are the past test questions
- advice for how to register, how the exam is scored and how to prepare for the test day
- highly interactive course facilitated with videos, quizzes and discussion boards
- free resources and discount for other test prep courses included
Udemy provides a wide range of courses that are highly rated by people worldwide. And yes! There are also courses for TOEFL preparation! In “TOEFL iBT Complete Online Preparation Course” you will learn skills and strategies in reading, listening , speaking ,and writing. Every question is well-explained so that you can get the tips of answering certain types of questions in the exam. This course are perfect for those who want to score 100+ in TOEFL iBT since it is taught by an experienced instructor in the filed for 12 years.
price: discounted price is about $10.6
- including 31 hours video, 7 articles, 26 downloadable resources and lifelong access
- free participation in live online courses
- exam advice from past examiners
- evaluation in written essays
- access to updated learning resources
- high rating score from the students (4.2/5)
Magoosh is a popular website for people who are seeking TOEFL preparation online courses. They provides test prep courses of a few well-known English exam, such as TOEFL, GRE and GMAT. They’ve done a good job in explanation video. Each practice question has its own video for explaining the structure, grammar and common mistakes. You can learn a lot of things from their video lessons from basic grammar to useful strategies for solving questions. Their study software has simple design that is user friendly. Online tutors are accessible whenever you get questions or need quick responses.
price: $39-89 (depends on the plan you choose)
- 330+ practice questions
- 330+ explanation videos
- 150+ lesson videos
- professional tutors answering your questions
- Navigation through the exam structure
Need helps from TOEFL professionals?
Kaplan is a Florida-based company that provides educational services to college and university. Kaplan claims itself the starter of test prep. It offers offline preparation courses for TOEFL in various cities in America. For people who are unable to attend a live course, there is also an option of online preparation course. In this online self-paced preparation course, the instructors will guide you step-by-step for preparing the TOEFL exam. The overall course length is 3 months. You will get video lessons, practice exams, and course book in the whole package.
- access over 190 lessons videos
- strategies for doing each exam section provided
- email support from experts
- learn special approaches to practice problems
- simulated exam provided
- Smart Report evaluate your performance
- Written Essay evaluation by experts
BestMyTest earns quite a lot positive reviews online. It provides over 1000 practice questions which are high quality in terms of the difficulty level that are similar to real questions in TOEFL exam. The contents are complete and very comprehensive. You get feedback and scores for speaking practices and written essays. One thing that makes BestMyTest special is their TOEFL Tutor. TOEFL Tutor helps students to set goals and plans for study to achieve target goals.
price: $38-$177 (depends on the plan you select)
- 7-days free trial
- money-back score increase guarantee
- interactive video lessons
- ask questions and get feedbacks via Ask-An-Instructor
- mobile app available
- speaking and writing reviews from expert
- improve performance with TOFEL Tutor
- 1000+ TOEFL practice questions, 20 practice tests, and 1500+ TOEFL lessons & vocab available
4Tests is a website that provides free online resources for practicing exams, such as TOEFL, SAT and GMAT. Their mission is to help people worldwide to perform well on their exams. They also have a New & Improved Discussion forum for users to discuss about any questions regarding to the exams with the those who’ve already taken the exams. You can find some useful tips and information about TOEFL from their blog as well. It’s nice to have such site offering free resources to people in needs.
- all resources (exams, tips, forum) for free
- reading, listening and structure exams available
- free access to study tips
- free access to online forum
TestDen is another free website that offers free materials for practice. It is owned by a Canadian software developing company which started in 1997. Their vision is to help students learn English in a more effective way. They provide online resources and lessons for standardized tests, such as TOEFL and TOEIC exam. Once you signed up with your email, you get access to 3 practice tests, 30 minutes each. However, the practice questions seem to be out of date. You should search for other new resources to deal with test questions of new TOEFL version.
- free practice exams up to 3 times
- reading, listening, speaking, and writing questions available
- score board show your highest scores
You might also like: Top 15+ FREE Online English Classes of 2019
Preparation Tips for TOEFL Exam
Test change summary in 2019:
Free Study Resources for TOEFL Exam [to be updated]
- TOEFL Resources (writing, speaking)
- JasonTOEFL class (listening, speaking)
- NoteFull TOEFL Mastery (speaking)
- Learn Toefl With Daniel (listening, speaking)
- Purdue OWL (writing)
- TED Talks (listening)
- BBC (reading)
- ABC News (reading)
- The New York Times (reading)
Also thinking of taking IELTS exam?
Don’t miss the 6 Best online IELTS prep courses